- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
The Thinger.io Education Kit is a complete solution for education purposes on Internet of Things. It provides all the required elements to setup a local IoT environment for academic or research purposes. This kit does not require an Internet connection at all, so it can be used in any school or place.
The Education Kit includes the following items:
- Raspberry Pi 3. Model B. That is used as a central server for connecting all academic devices.
- 32 GB MicroSD with Thinger.io instance preinstalled.
- 10, 20, or 30 ClimaStick v2 devices that can be used by students for learning about sensors, electronics, etc.
Find more details about the components in the following:
Raspberry Pi 3. Model B.
This device is a tiny computer that runs the Thinger.io software based on Ubuntu Core OS. This device can be directly connected to a router, or access point. This way, you can access the Thinger.io services locally in your own network, school, or research center without requiring an Internet connection.
The Raspberry Pi included is brand new. Here are some specs of the device:
- Quad Core 1.2GHz Broadcom BCM2837 64bit CPU
- 1GB RAM
- BCM43438 wireless LAN and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) on board
- 40-pin extended GPIO
- 4 USB 2 ports
- 4 Pole stereo output and composite video port
- Full size HDMI
- CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
- Upgraded switched Micro USB power source up to 2.5A
More information about Raspberry Pi 3 can be found here.
ClimaStick v2 Devices
A ClimaStick device is a complete Internet of Things development kit, that integrates WiFi connectivity along with a set of powerful sensors to provide environmental and motion sensing. This way, it is possible to create several connected projects easily. It is fully compatible with the Thinger.io platform running on the Raspberry Pi, and provides easy to use libraries that can be used in the Arduino IDE. This way, students can easily use hardware for learning IoT, that can be programmed over a user-friendly environment. Moreover, this solution is most cost-effective than any other Arduino-based solution. It can be used like an Arduino in terms of programming, debugging, serial port, etc., but it also includes a set of powerful sensors that can be used in multiple projects.
Here are some characteristics of the boards:
- On-board environmental sensing (Temperature, Humidity, Pressure, Lux), based on BME280 and TSL256.
- On-board motion sensing (Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass), based on MPU9250.
- On-board tactile switch for interacting with the device.
- On-board led (red).
- Battery Charger for remote deployments, i.e. based on solar panels.
- Pins for batteries and external power supply.
- Arduino compatible (Can be programmed directly with Arduino IDE)
- WiFi b/g/n connectivity based on ESP8285
- Compatible with Thinger.io and Secure TLS connections
- Small dimensions (17×38 mm)
More information about ClimaStick v2 can be found here.
The MicroSD card contains a ready to use solution for deploying Thinger.io IoT Maker Server directly on your Raspberry Pi 3. It integrates all the required features to start working with the platform, including the console client. Just plug the MicroSD card on the provided Raspberry Pi, and connect your Raspberry Pi to a network over Ethernet or Wifi. After booting the device, a Thinger.io server instance will be running on your Raspberry Pi.
The MicroSD Cards are brand new original cards from Sandisk:
- Micro SDXC Ultra Class 10 UHS-I
- Up to 80MB/s
Note: ClimaStick v2 devices can be directly programmed over USB in any computer (Windows/Mac/Linux), so, the kit requires additional Micro USB cables.